Spring has officially sprung in New England and all the cubicle dwellers are taking advantage of our unseasonably warm weather this year!
I took these photos for Wordless Wednesday while strolling around Bushnell Park downtown during lunch on a work day. There’s signs of Spring in the air everywhere – the lunchtime joggers, runners, soccer and frisbee players, dog walkers, and photography fanatics are out and about.
It’s nice to be able to sit on a park bench to enjoy a picnic lunch and people watch.
Here’s a few scenes of daffodils and spring flowers signalling rebirth and a renewal of spirit in the Nutmeg State:
Bushnell Park Pumphouse Gallery
Originally built in 1947 by the Army Corps of Engineers using stones from the bridges that were removed when the Park River was buried, it incorporates a Tudor design. This quaint-looking building, reminiscent of an English cottage, is actually a functioning pump house–part of the Connecticut River Flood Control Project–and an art gallery, featuring exhibits by area artists. It is the only public gallery in a municipal park in Connecticut.
… an opening in the heart of the city itself, to which citizens will naturally flow in their walks. A place where children will play and the invalid go to breathe the freshness of nature. A place for holiday scenes and celebrations; a green carpet of ground, where high and low, rich and poor will exchange looks; an outdoor parlor opened for the cultivation of good manners and a right social feeling. A place of life and motion that will make us more conscious of being one people.
Ancient Burying Ground
The Ancient Burying Ground is the oldest historic site in Hartford, and the only one surviving from the 1600s. From 1640, four years after the arrival of the first English settlers, down until the early 1800s, it was Hartford’s first and foremost graveyard. During that period anyone who died in town, regardless of age, gender, race, ethnic background, economic status, or religious faith, was interred here. The oldest gravestone is believed to be that for Timothy Stanley, who died in 1648.
© Moomettes Magnificents